wabi sabi

a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.
a beauty of things unconventional.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Drawing From The Right Side of The Brain

I spent 5 days last week with my sister in St. Andrews, New Brunswick taking the most amazing drawing class. It was taught by Gerald Cloud and based on the classic book Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. The week was another one of those life changing events that completely changed the way I think about my abilities and my art and what the possibilities are. I have known of this book for years and even owned it at one point. I will admit I am not good at reading thru instruction manuals or books. For me, just give me the highlights and let me jump in and I will figure it out. Our instructor made a few group comments and we jumped in. With a few suggestions along the way the most amazing things happened and I walked away feeling overwhelmed by what I had accomplished in 5 short days.


self portrait before class


self portrait at the end of 5 days




Lissa working on her drawing



Next up for me is Homesteader's Metalsmithing online with Stephanie Lee and then Squam in September.

what are you up to?

4 comments:

  1. OMG, Lindy! I can see the enormous growth as well as feel it in your words. What a wonderful awakening for you!!

    I need this book...thank you for sharing this today and opening up your journey to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing change!!! I'm glad you had such a mind opening experience. I had a great time at an artful journey. Ran into Lois from Feb. class and she said to tell you Hello, that she follows your blog but does not know how to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love that you have a before and after picture. Such an amazing difference, but I can see your style in both...it is the eyes It think.

    We are so on the same path my friend! I just bought Drawing Lab and have completed days 1 and 2, so drawing has been on my mind lately. I eyed Stephanie's class but the timing was not great for me so I can't wait to see how you love it.

    We have lots to chat about at Squam! I am sooooo excited at this point!

    xxoo
    Lorrrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOUR WORK IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So much inside you just waiting to get out! Congratulations on such a transformation and having the courage to take a drawing class!

    Bravo my sister-friend!

    Love,
    Danielle xox

    PS. Enjoy all of your upcoming classes!

    ReplyDelete